Chronicling my embarkation into my own personal world of writing. I do not have a destination in mind. My only hope is to make some sense of this compelling desire to create with words.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Who are Maria and Wade?

I tested myself with a free writing exercise. I started with the Writer's Journal contest started phrase: "He reached for..."

It landed me inside of the consciousness of a man named Larry, who minutes later, I renamed Wade.

What do we know about Wade after 10 minutes of free writing and three hundred words?

He is an author.
He is desperately in love with a woman called Maria, whom is thousands of miles away.
He has met her only once in the nation of Sudan.
His sister's name is Danielle and is in the Peace Corps.
Wade is tired of writing to Maria. It has lost its luster. He needs to see and hear Maria.

I need to make this story come to life.

No comments: